Authorized Reading Specialist:
Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
Training the specialist completed:
Wilson Language Training
Why does Goshen Community Schools screen for dyslexia?
School corporations and charter schools must ensure that all students in kindergarten, grade one, and grade two are screened each school year for learning characteristics related to
dyslexia. The selected universal screener must be approved by IDOE. Universal screeners are brief, designed for all students, and provide an indicator if students may be at risk or at some risk for learning characteristics related to dyslexia.
- Schools must notify parents that universal screening for learning characteristics related to dyslexia will occur
- Students who transfer or enroll after the start of the school year must participate in the universal screener for learning characteristics related to dyslexia only if they have not participated in such screening at their previous school.
- Students may be exempted from screening if they meet one or both of the following
- The parent (or legal guardian) of the student objects to the screening, or
- The student is already receiving intervention services for dyslexia.
Students in grade three and beyond must participate in screening for characteristics of dyslexia if a classroom teacher identifies that the student struggles with all of the following six skills:
- Phonological and phonemic awareness;
- Sound symbol recognition;
- Alphabet knowledge;
- Decoding skills;
- Rapid naming skills; and
- Encoding skills.
Resources to support dyslexia interventions are available on the IDOE Dyslexia webpage.
State Data Reported
Intervention Programs used:
- Fundations Tier II Interventions
- Wilson Reading Intervention
- Leveled Literacy Instruction (LLI)
- Guided Reading and Word work
- Heggerty Phonemic Awareness Strategies
- Words Their Way Word Work Interventions
The number of students identified with dyslexic tendencies: 221 after Universal Screener
The number of students who received dyslexia intervention: 54 after Level 1 Screener