School Year Calendars
Can’t see the calendars? Click here.
To make the beginning of the school year more successful for students and parents, GCS has created a staggered start for the year. August 16 will be the first day of school for grade levels transitioning into school for the first time, or into a new building. The remaining grade levels will start a day later, on August 17. This staggered schedule will allow for greater attention and care to be given to grade-level students who are new to a building, ensuring that the students will have the opportunity to get acclimated to their new school.
August 16, 2023
- Kindergarten and grades 5, 7, & 9 – Students will attend school.
- Grades 1–4 & Grade 6 – The teachers will contact families and/or help other teachers with new students.
- Grades 8, 10, 11, & 12 – Teachers will connect personally with families.
August 17, 2023
- All GCS students will attend school.
To communicate more effectively with parents during Parent/Teacher Conferences, GCS will expand the district’s fall Parent/Teacher Conferences.
October 17, 2023
- No school on this date for all GCS students. This will NOT be an e-learning day.
October 19, 2023
- Kindergarten-Grade 6 from 3:30-7:30 p.m.
February 12, 2024
- Grades 7-8 from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Grades 9-12 from 3:30–7:30 p.m.
This new schedule will provide eight additional conference hours beyond GCS’s past practices. This time will also give parents greater flexibility to be in conference with teachers. Previously, conferences could only be conducted during the evening, which created barriers for parents who work in the evenings.
***If parents have questions, they should contact their student’s building principal.