The Dual Language Two-Way Immersion Program at Waterford Elementary School provides kindergarten students with the opportunity to begin the journey toward bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism, in English and Spanish. The Dual Language Two-Way Immersion Program serves both native English speakers and native Spanish speakers, with each language serving as a model for the other. We use the 50/50 model with two teachers. One teacher instructs exclusively in Spanish for half of the day, and the other teacher instructs exclusively in English the other half of the day.
- Develop bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism in Spanish and English.
- Achieve grade level or higher academic progress in Spanish and English.
- Participate in a rigorous academic program that will increase student achievement, and prepare students for a global society.
The Benefits of Dual Language Two-Way Immersion
- Language Skills: Students achieve high proficiency in the immersion language, and a deeper understanding of their primary language
- Cognitive Skills: Students in immersion programs typically develop better critical thinking skills and problem-solving skills
- Cultural Competency: Immersion students develop an appreciation for and an understanding of diverse cultures
- Long-Term Benefits: Immersion students are better prepared for the global community and job market where bilingualism and biliteracy are assets.
The Goshen Community Schools Dual Language Spanish Immersion Program strives to enroll students of all backgrounds and ability levels. Applications are open to all students entering kindergarten.
Exclusively for Waterford Families: March 7th – March 15th
District Families: Begins March 16th