Goshen Academic Partners/Volunteers
Through a relationship with Crossroads United Way Serving Elkhart, LaGrange, and Noble Counties, Goshen Community Schools incorporates various volunteer opportunities, which allow community members to become involved in the Goshen Schools.
The “Real Mentors Read” program matches volunteers from the Goshen community with a KG-4th grade classroom.
- 2022-23 Program Information here. (Disponible en Español)
- Lasts for four weeks starting in late October or early November.
- Volunteers visit an assigned classroom once a week to share a read-aloud story and interesting ways reading can help in their career fields.
“Reading Camps” are meant to provide extra practice to 2nd-grade readers needing assistance with their reading skills.
- They are held at 5 of the 7 elementary schools including Chandler, Model, Parkside, Waterford, and West Goshen. Plans for expansion include adding Chamberlain and Prairie View.
- Two days per week for one hour after school for 8-weeks during the winter months.
- Volunteers can sign up for one or two hours per week, or participate in the Sub Pool.
“Spring Into Reading” is the counterpart to “Real Mentors Read”.
- Volunteers read once a week to our youngest students in PreK-1st-grade in all 7 elementary schools.
- Lasts for a four-week period, beginning after Spring Break.
- All materials are provided for each program.
“D.R.I.V.E.” is a volunteer opportunity to become a mentor for 4-6 grade students.
- Mentors meet with their students at their home school once a week for 30-minutes. The schedule is determined once a mentor signs up for the program.
- The focus is typically student-led dependent on their interests.
If you are interested in volunteering in the READ UNITED or DRIVE programs within Goshen Community Schools, please contact:
Read United Volunteer Engagement Specialist
Phone: 574-533-8631, ext. 12045