The key work of the Goshen Community Schools’ Board is to ensure student achievement and community engagement to promote student achievement.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Board of School Trustees of Goshen Community Schools, commonly called the school board, is composed of seven members elected by public vote. The Board of School Trustees is responsible for developing the operational policies of our school system. It acts upon recommendations made by the superintendent and staff on a wide variety of matters including:
- Developing a budget
- Authorizing the spending of funds
- Reviewing and revising curriculum
- Additional school issues
School boards are a creation of the Indiana legislature and are charged with providing educational opportunities for the children in the school corporation. The Board of School Trustees of Goshen Community Schools maintains a membership in the Indiana School Boards Association and subscribes to its Code of Ethics.
No one person or groups of persons may act in the name of the board. For an item to become official, a majority of the board in official session must vote in favor of the motion. A quorum of at least four board members must be present to conduct official business.
Click to view a PDF of the School Board District Map
Meetings and Agendas
The Board of School Trustees usually meets on the second and fourth Monday of each month in the Board room at the Administration Office, 613 East Purl Street, Goshen, Indiana, at 6:00 p.m.
- PDF file with meeting dates – Board Meeting Dates
Copies of the meeting agenda are available at the meeting. The agenda is also available online as are minutes of previous meets. The agenda contains the items to be considered at that meeting. Board members receive the agenda and supporting documents well in advance of each meeting so they can study the materials and be prepared to make decisions. The Board normally will not consider items which are not included on the agenda.
School Board Members
- Felipe Merino, President – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bradd Weddell, Vice President- email@example.com
- Keith Goodman, Secretary – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jane DeVoe, Member – email@example.com
- Roger Nafziger, Member – firstname.lastname@example.org
- José Ortiz, Member – email@example.com
- Jane E. Troup, Member – firstname.lastname@example.org